A Bit Behind The Scenes
I partnered with Lionel, LLC in 2014 to develop High Rail for iPhone and iPad. After signing the NDA and receiving the proprietary hardware communication protocols, I started prototyping and implementing the awesome features that are available today.
High Rail is my “playground” app. It’s where I get to practice learning new technologies, patterns, idioms, etc. using an app that I (and my paying customers) want to use.
I am currently working on a layout control panel feature built on top of SpriteKit. The first major release will allow users to a Millhouse River Studio turntable. Future releases will include the ability to create an interactive virtual layout to control turnouts/ switches, track power, SensorTracks and much more.
High Rail Technologies
- Swift 4/ ObjC
- Core Animation/ Core Graphics
- Lots explicit animations
- Dynamic layer property animations
- Custom view controller transitions
- Used by the in-app Gesture Help feature to display touches
- Core Data
- Custom asynchronous workflow engine built on top of
- Asynchronous networking stack using Grand Central Dispatch (GCD)
- Tons of XCUnit tests
- hundreds of thousands of network packet combinations are tested against the Core Data model
- lots more
Here’s a few links with additional information: